Welcome to PKC! Er...

So PKC is alive. There is a minor (I say that to not cause worry - it's really quite a lot of work) setback where our server has updated PHP (the engine that drives dynamic webpages like PKC and the forum - i.e. you do something, the page reacts) to PHP 7, but PKC and its forums were last revamped in 2009 and can't run on much past 5.3 (random aside but there is no such thing as PHP 6; we aren't that far behind). Which was fine as we'd planned ahead and repaired the scripts to temporarily cope with 7 while we made a new site. Except it didn't work. Turns out the site I was testing it all on said it was PHP 7.3 but in fact was PHP 5.2. Moral of the story; do not trust computers. Or HR (general life tip, irrelevant to current issue).

The lowest PHP the domain can be rolled back to is PHP 5.6, and this is still too new for both the site and the forum. They both roughly work on 5.6 but throw errors. And I'm not 100% sure if those errors will do nothing or will damage the database (which is like a giant multi-page Excel sheet hidden on the server behind what you see on the site and forums). To stop the errors damaging the database I (Kai) have shut down both temporarily while I write a brand new PHP 7 safe site. The database is safe, all 23 years of PKC history (exluding the first couple of years where we already knew we'd lost stuff) is safe. All I have to do (lol!) is recreate the site to work with an updated forum and present all that data to you all as before.

It's not a small job - when I did the first site in 2009 I was doing it while trapped in my home due to heavy snow (sitting in front of a halogen lamp as we'd also decided to replace our boiler during a snow storm) when I was supposed to be writing my literature review for my PhD (I work best when avoiding other work). But it is working. And I will get it done. It's hard to give a timeline, I think it's a week's work but really as I'm learning a new dialect of a language I last wrote fluently in 2009 it's hard to predict what blocks I'll meet on my path. But it is coming. The PKC site is very simple - it only does 5 things. It views tables, it inserts new rows, it edits rows, it deletes rows and it uploads images. It just does this A LOT.

Things to do while you are waiting

To keep up to date join us on our Discord via this link - https://discord.gg/mNUzt6VTJb, or via widget below, or search for 'Petz Kennel Club' and click on the one with the characteristic purple icon, whatever works.